Sunday 20 June 2010

Self-publishing: Feel the fear and do it anyway

The more I learn about self-publishing, the more sense it makes - financially, and because communication doesn't happen in a vaccuum.

My creative writing used to be a possessive, secretive activity and rarely did I show others the fruits of my labour. Right now I'm reminded of Back To The Future and Marty telling his girlfriend "but I don't think I can take that kind of rejection!"

Laying yourself bare, asking for criticism, stating to the world that, actually, you think you've done something worthwhile: what a risky business this is.

After reading about self-publishing, recognising that the world of publishing is such that an agent or publisher may never see my worth, it boils down to this: I do not want to lie on my deathbed with terrible regret at things I did not try because I was scared.


No comments:

Post a Comment