Sunday 27 June 2010

Self-publishing, ease of, and professional growth

Richard Rogers laments in the Observer that self-publishing puts the onus of sorting the slush from the literary upon "us", the readers.

Well, what's new, really?

Springboarding off a Laura Miller article in salon.com, Rogers notes just how bad the majority of the slush pile is.

I instantly fell in love (so fickle) with commenter AprilLHamilton for her eloquent response of: "Odd how I never hear of anyone discouraging indie filmmakers or musicians on the basis that there are many bad indie films and songs out there, yet many people have no compunction whatsoever about discouraging indie authors."

This is exactly why I have decided to self-publish. Why should I not have dreams? Why should I not question the authority of those who have so far read and rejected my manuscript? Why should I not put my metaphorical money where my keyboard is, and attempt to create my own success?

Of course, no-one is saying outright that I cannot and should not. I feel defensive, though. The article hints that self-publishing is an easy option for failures who would otherwise be snapped up by the publishing houses.

But many of us have read in the Writer's and Artist's Yearbook about how Virginia Wolf self-published, and William Blake. There are stories of self-published authors being snapped up by publishing houses who see how well their over-looked manuscript is doing (even the ocasional celebratory post on the Authonomy forum) which means that these are more than Urban Folklore to perk up our spirits.

What would I do if one of the agents currently reading my first three chapters expressed an interest? Nay, better still, found me a publisher?

I'd obviously consider it, I'm not going to get self-righteous here and pretend I would turn down a good deal. But what I would bring to the process is different to what I would have three months ago. In the process of planning my own marketing, my product, me myself as a product, I have learned how to think about these things, and would be prepared to work harder with my agent and publisher to make my book a success.

Because, in fact, all I set out wanting from them was a nice cheque and a list of what they were going to do for me, alongside the idea I would enjoy a book-signing tour of Waterstones at some point. Organised for me, of course.

Rogers wrote that "anyone with the will to type can simply upload their cherished titles on to the lists of high-profile online booksellers".

It's really not like hammering out an article and sending it through the system to the news editor on its route towards an established audience. Simple, it's not, I assure you.

No comments:

Post a Comment